Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Soul Delighteth in the Song of the Heart

I LOVE Sunday.
Today was especially fabulous.
I had the opportunity to sing this song in church with an amazing group of people, as the theme of sacrament today was music


It sounded so good and I'm so thankful for everyone's willingness to sing with us! We even got invited to sing again next week in another ward =)
I also got to listen to my momma speak today and she did such a wonderful job in portraying her message of how to bring music into your meetings.  The spirit was so strong today and I loved how you could see my mother's sweet spirit shining through.  She is positively delightful.

There were a couple quotes I really liked from her talk! 
From Elder Jay E. Jensen's talk on the Nourishing Power of Hymns. Quote:
"Hymns invite the Spirit of the Lord. They often do this quicker than anything else we may do. President J. Reuben Clark Jr. said, 'We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing, except prayer'".
So true.

Elder Bateman also talked on Music as a form of Worship. Again I quote (I love the description Bateman uses here!!):
“Each time I hear “How Great Thou Art,” something happens inside. I think my spirit becomes taut like a string on a violin and begins vibrating with the beauty of the music and the hope expressed in Stuart Hine’s words. In particular, the third and fourth verses, combined with the lyrical nature of the chorus, cause my spirit to swell with deep appreciation for the Lord’s Atonement and mercy: 

And when I think that God, his Son not sparing,
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross my burden gladly bearing
He bled and died to take away my sin, …
When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration
And there proclaim, “My God, how great thou art!

He continues:
Music is one of the most effective forms of worship. In our hymns, we praise God, give thanks for His love and mercy. I am impressed with this statement by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “Sacramental hymns are … like prayers, … and everyone can give voice to a prayer!” Although I had thought of some hymns as prayers, I had not thought of each sacramental hymn in that form. And yet it is! …… As the priests break the bread, the entire congregation is given the opportunity to voice their prayerful thanks through music. Sacramental hymns focus our attention on the Lord, His atoning sacrifice, and the gospel plan.”

I'm tempted to just quote her entire talk since it was so good! Buuut I'll refrain...

Basically, Momma G is the best. I don't know if she realizes how much I appreciate the bonding time we get to have through music and theatre. I have been involved in theatre almost every year since I was 8 with my mother and my sister.  We consider the theatre to be our second home hahah. I love to hear my sweet momma sing (while her emotions get the best of her as she cries every time hehe)

My life flows on in endless song
Above earth's lamentation
I hear the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing
It finds and echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing?

Go sing a hymn with your family, friends, or by yourself and have a happy sunday everyone! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment