Sunday, April 17, 2011

I'd Rather Burst My Appendix

For the past 6 months I have been experiences a reoccurring sharp pain in my lower right abdomen.  I couldn't breath in deeply; I couldn't apply any pressure on it; I couldn't stretch it out, I just had to wait it out. Chance and I thought that perhaps it could be my appendix so we looked up the symptoms of appendicitis... then we forgot about it and just let it be

On Tuesday afternoon, we were learning how to do craniosacral massages.  I was getting this massage when my sharp pain came back! It was probably the worst it has been so far! I could only take shallow breaths (as deep diaphragmatic breathing really irritated it) and it was referring pain up to about my 12th rib (it has only ever been local to the area just medial to my right hip bone).  I asked my teacher if it was normal to get these reoccurring pains... nope.  She asked me some questions: Bladder infection? nope. Constipated? nope. Preggo? NOPE! Then she told me I should probably go to the hospital to get it checked out as it might be appendicitis. I just got up, got a drink of water, tried to stretch as much as the pain would allow me, and walked it off... then forgot about getting a doctors appointment
THEN on wednesday evening at around 11 pm, I got that stinkin pain again! real bad! like 9/10 bad. I was really sweaty and uncomfortable and I was tossing and turning in bed; then eventually texted Chance at around 1 am.  He looked up the symptoms again
Chance: "What side hurts?"
me: "Bottom right. Hurts most when I take deep breaths, press on it, or stretch it at all"
Chance: "Above pubic bone and below belly button?"
me: "Yes"
Chance: "I think you should go in tonight"
me: "If you say so..."

The website said if you are experiencing any of these symptoms (pain, nausea, vomiting, fever), go to the hospital immediately!
So Chance picked me up and our overnight adventure began!
I checked into the hospital around 2 am.  The nurses coulnd't figure out why my Alberta Health Card said X X Garner (note to self, ask mother why I don't have a first name) I waited for about a half hour before anyone came into my room. They took my blood... and I didn't see anyone for another half hour. There were people who I noticed came in after me, yet were getting treated before me! (no, they didn't have a bullet wound, or an amputated limb or anything.. therefore there was no reason to put priority for them over me!) By the time the doctor got to my room, my pain had been long gone! He just asked me a couple questions, then was on his way. I snuck Chancey into my room and we played way too many rounds of "I-Spy" while the clock ticked another hour away. Note to anyone who reads this post. I wouldn't play I-Spy with Chance if I were you. He picks the most ridiculously small bits of color that are next to impossible to find!... and then he would guess mine in a second!
Me: "I spy with my little eye, something that is... brown!"
Chance: "The door."
Me: "Noooo....."
Chance: "..."
Me: "Dangit!! How are you so good at this game?!" as he rolls his eyes at me...
I'm never playing that game again!

Finally the doctor came back in and all's he did was press on my tummy, stretched my leg here and there a little, and left me in the room again! Eventually a nurse came in to get a urine sample, took her sweet time to come back to my room to get it, and THEN we had to wait for all my test results to come back!!
Anyways... my test results indicated no infection, white blood cell count low, electrolytes high, appendix are fine (phew!), kidneys are fine.. blah blah. But he wanted me to come back in the morning to get an ultrasound. 
We got a little bit of shut-eye around 6 am.  I got 2 phonecalls around 9 and 10 am asking for "X X Garner" to come in for an ultrasound.  Soooo... back to the hospital we went! We actually got into my ultrasound appointment right away (no waiting! I was impressed!)  3 more times was I inquired about my name "X" during the ultrasound... seriously, I don't know why! Chance and I were going to make up a cool story to tell people when asked if that was my real name. 
I had to go into my ultrasound on an empty stomach and a full bladder... and boy was it full! I thought I was going to wet my pants, the way the ultrasound technician was shoving that thing into my stomach!
Chance was quite entertained with the ultrasound.  Trying to guess what the black and white images popping up were.  He said it reminded him of his childhood of black and white TVs.

They gave us a little slip of paper of their findings in my tummy that we had to take back to the doctor so we could get my full test results.  All the paper said was that my intestines were fine, appendix fine, bladder fine, & that I had lots of little follicles in my ovaries (I guess that means I won't have any problems having babies?)
We waited in the line up, we waited in the waiting room and then we waited some more in the hospital room! We got sooooo fed up with waiting! It was ridiculous cause we could see my doctor just sitting there!! Drinking his coffee and talking with the nurses! I got so impatient that I stormed up to the desk to tell them that we had been waiting in the room for over 2 hours when all the doctor needed to do was come in and read me my results to tell me I was fine so I could go home! The man's response "The doctor will be with you as soon as he can" as he put his head down and turned his chair away from me to escape the evil stink eye I was giving him. 
If you can believe it... we waited over 3 hours just for the doctor to come in and read EXACTLY what was on the paper from the ultrasound and to tell us that he wasn't sure what was causing my pain! Unbelievable! It took all of my self control to not rip his head off! (We were really fussy by then if you couldn't tell... lack of sleep and over 24 hours of not eating will do that to ya!)

We raced to Fuddruckers and stuffed our faces with yummy greasy hamburgers (So worth it! So divine!), had a half hour power nap, and then went to my gold medal soccer game (which we lost by one point! Boo-urns!)

Anyways... If you feel like this post was pointless, anti-climactic, and a waste of you're time... I know how ya feel.  That's exactly how I feel about those 2 days spent at the hospital.  I mean, don't get me wrong.. I'm happy that I'm healthy and all... but next time, if I had the choice of waiting at that hospital or having my appendix burst... I'd rather burst my appendix (Chance says "you realize that that if your appendix burst, you would get sepsis, and die?" Yes... yes I do realize that.)

P.S. we still don't know what's wrong with me, so if any of you wannabe doctors out there want to diagnose me, give it your best shot! Cause I'm pretty curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment